As the temperatures rise, so does the frustration when your computers do not work properly. We receive a lot of calls from customers during the summer months regarding internet & system failures. With the onset of the hot weather, your data can be in jeopardy. Heat, humidity & electricity rationing (yes Con-Ed drops the voltage) are big factors that play on the reliability of your systems and data.
With the continued cyber attacks, viruses and now summer heat – its IMPERATIVE that you have good reliable data backups. For a few dollars a month a good REMOTE BACKUP Solution can save your company.
Vanguard has recovered many files and entire servers for our customers, putting them back in operation quickly – You know who you are and we thank you for your business!
I have put together a few tip and answered some questions to keep your systems operational during the hot summer months:
- We have a number of customers with servers in a closet or small room – REMEMBER TO KEEP THE DOORS OPEN DURING THE DAY AND ESPECIALLY ON THE WEEKEND – TEMPERATURES CAN SOAR TO OVER 100 DESTROYING YOUR SYSTEM AND CAUSING YOU A LOT OF MONEY AND HEADACHES
- If you dot have a AC in the server area/closet – than invest in a fan that’s kept on all day and nite blowing at the BACK of the servers where the heat escapes
- Con-Ed DROPS the electrical voltage during the summer – we pay a fortune for electric yet are rationed – a discussion for another day – but this drop in voltage and power spikes (not to get to technical) causes systems to behave incorrectly, lock up and can and does damage routers and servers – invest in a good UPS battery backup with voltage inverter to protect your equipment
- If you are going on vacation and the office will be closed – I suggest you turn off your server until you return – call us for help on this
- Keep computers in a cool, dry area to prevent overheating – stuffing a pc under a desk and covering it with boxes and shoes is a recipe for disaster
- Don’t have too many computers running off one power supply, via an extension cable. If the power socket is affected by a power surge, then all the machines could suffer damage
- Install a surge protector between the outlet and the computer’s power cable. Call Vanguard for help
- Do vacuum and blow-out your computers monthly to prevent dust buildup and fan blockage – if you have a service contract with Vanguard we manage this, if not call us we can schedule service to help you in preventive maintenance
As the summer heats up, you can prevent outages and downtime by performing the simple tasks above.
Vanguard can manage summer heat problems and proactively protect you against unnecessary system failures which result in you losing money.